[mythtv-users] Signal strength now reporting 50% instead of 100%

Paul Harrison mythtv at mythqml.net
Mon May 9 11:40:41 UTC 2022

On 09/05/2022 11:41, James Abernathy wrote:

> On Sun, May 8, 2022 at 8:39 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>     Results of my first test of the Hauppauge WinTV Quad HD in a new
>     system with Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS and mythtv v31.
>
>     I installed Ubuntu 20.04.3 minimal and added the apt repository
>     for v31. The install was as expected and I setup the 4 tuners to
>     correspond to the Quad tuner PCIe card.
>
>     I used a table top antenna in my lab since I didn't have a tap for
>     the big attic antenna.  I could not get the PBS station 40 miles
>     away as expected but the nearby stations all scanned.  While
>     watching LiveTV, I noticed that the signal strength displayed was
>     80-100% instead of 40-50% in V32 Ubuntu 22.04, my production backend.
>
>     I'll try later today or tomorrow to move the test PC to a room
>     that can access the same 8-way splitter that all my other tuners
>     and tvs are connected to.  At this point it's looking like the
>     difference between v31 and v32 or Ubuntu 20.04 and 22.04.
>
>     Where I'm located with respect to the TV towers you can get great
>     signals with a coat hanger jammed into the F-connector.
>
>     Jim A
>

> I've narrowed down when the signal reporting gets changed. On my newly
> built test system with MythTV v31 on Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS my signals
> were reported as ~100% on most of my channels using my Hauppauge WinTV
> quadTV as it had for years on my production backend.
>
> I added the ppa:mythbuntu/32 repository and upgraded to v32. The
> system updated all 21 packages and everything was working as before
> but now on v32.
>
> But when I use Watch Live TV all my reported signal strengths were
> between 40-50%.  So the change is MythTV v32 related and not the
> version of Ubuntu. The OS remained at Ubuntu 20.04 with latest patches
> without any package updates to Linux during this test.
>
> Jim A

Could be this commit which changed the signal strength range for DVBv5 :-

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/5d76841b8c1878

You could  try starting the backend with --dvbv3 to see what you get
with the old DVB v3 API.

Like other have said if it not causing you any problems then I wouldn't
worry to much about it.

Paul H.