[mythtv-users] Signal strength now reporting 50% instead of 100%

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon May 9 10:41:52 UTC 2022

On Sun, May 8, 2022 at 8:39 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Results of my first test of the Hauppauge WinTV Quad HD in a new system
> with Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS and mythtv v31.
>
> I installed Ubuntu 20.04.3 minimal and added the apt repository for v31.
> The install was as expected and I setup the 4 tuners to correspond to the
> Quad tuner PCIe card.
>
> I used a table top antenna in my lab since I didn't have a tap for the big
> attic antenna.  I could not get the PBS station 40 miles away as expected
> but the nearby stations all scanned.  While watching LiveTV, I noticed that
> the signal strength displayed was 80-100% instead of 40-50% in V32 Ubuntu
> 22.04, my production backend.
>
> I'll try later today or tomorrow to move the test PC to a room that can
> access the same 8-way splitter that all my other tuners and tvs are
> connected to.  At this point it's looking like the difference between v31
> and v32 or Ubuntu 20.04 and 22.04.
>
> Where I'm located with respect to the TV towers you can get great signals
> with a coat hanger jammed into the F-connector.
>
> Jim A

I've narrowed down when the signal reporting gets changed. On my newly
built test system with MythTV v31 on Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS my signals were
reported as ~100% on most of my channels using my Hauppauge WinTV quadTV as
it had for years on my production backend.

I added the ppa:mythbuntu/32 repository and upgraded to v32. The system
updated all 21 packages and everything was working as before but now on v32.

But when I use Watch Live TV all my reported signal strengths were between
40-50%.  So the change is MythTV v32 related and not the version of Ubuntu.
The OS remained at Ubuntu 20.04 with latest patches without any package
updates to Linux during this test.

Jim A