[mythtv-users] messed up audio tracks?

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri May 6 12:47:36 UTC 2022

On 5/5/22 15:06, James Abernathy wrote:
> In a recent recording of a CBS program, The Equalizer, I noticed
> something weird.  When the playback started it had the last part of a
> commercial and then the program started with what had happened in
> previous episodes.  I could hear the background noise, but there was
> no dialogue from the actors.  I could see their lips move, but nothing
> came out of their mouths that you could hear.  I skipped by 10 minutes
> through the recording and found that the sound changed from messed up
> to normal several times.  While the audio was without dialogue, I used
> the Menu function and changed audio track from 1 - English 5.1 to 2 -
> Spanish and what I heard was English dialogue and background noise
> along with an announcer describing the scene as if for blind views.
>
> I've tested this on every type of Frontend I have.  Linux PC
> mythfrontend, Nvidia Shield Leanfront and mythfrontend, and Kodi with
> kodi-pvr-mythtv.  They all behaved the same way.
>
> My assumption is there was some heavy drinking at CBS or my local
> affiliate that night.
>
> Has anyone seen this type of behavior before?
>
> Jim A.

I have seen this before, but not recently. Only the rear speaker tracks
were playing. It has happened once or twice with recordings, although
not lately. Previously when it happened I have switched to the other
audio track. At the time there was no audio description so that worked
for me. I suspect something messed up at the broadcast station.
Sometimes it sorted itself out after a commercial break.

Peter