[mythtv-users] macosx

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sun May 1 09:47:26 UTC 2022

> On May 1, 2022, at 3:06 AM, James <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

>>> [haycorn] /Users/jam [510]% sudo  port upgrade outdated
>>> --->  Computing dependencies for libgcc11
>>> --->  Fetching archive for libgcc11
>>> --->  Attempting to fetch libgcc11-11.3.0_1.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from http://packages.macports.org/libgcc11
>>> --->  Attempting to fetch libgcc11-11.3.0_1.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from http://jog.id.packages.macports.org/macports/packages/libgcc11
>>> --->  Attempting to fetch libgcc11-11.3.0_1.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from http://kmq.jp.packages.macports.org/libgcc11
>>> --->  Building libgcc11
>>> Error: Failed to build libgcc11: command execution failed
>>> Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc11/libgcc11/main.log for details.
>>> Error: Problem while installing libgcc11
>>> Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets if you believe there is a bug.
>>>

>> You didn’t say so I have to ask—did you do the 2 prior commands before the one you show above?  Did they succeed?
>>
>> It is NOT expected that you should have to build libgcc from source.  However, I’ve dug into it and it appears the MacPorts machine that builds the binary installer for your OS version did not run or didn’t finish.  (The set of jobs to build for the various supported OS versions ran for over 8 hours!)  Hopefully, that should fix itself on the next update to libgcc11.
>>
>> The log tail that you included doesn’t actually show the errors.  Please put the full log on a pastebin somewhere and I’ll have a look at it.
>>
>> Depending on your hardware, building libgcc11 is going to take a LONG time.  I believe you need to have several GB of free disk space.  Obviously, the more RAM the machine has, the faster the process will go.  If I were you, I’d restart the machine
>

>> before letting it run overnight on the build.
>>
>> There is a chance we might be able to stick handle around the libgcc11 issue.  Please check what version(s) you previously had installed with:
>>
>> port installed libgcc11
>>
>> Please let me know what the output is.
>>
>> BTW, is it possible for you to update to a more recent OS version?  I believe the reason you need libgcc11 is that some dependency requires more-modern compiler features than Xcode on High Sierra can deliver.  Plus, High Sierra hasn’t received security updates for a long time.
>
> Craig thanks for the help!
>
> I did do
> sudo port selfupdate
>
> The update bit worked fine. But thereafter chaos. I followed the wiki on migration but got trapped in
>
> Error: we appear to be stuck, exiting...
> infinite loop
>    while executing
> "sort_ports $portList"
>    invoked from within
> "set operationList [sort_ports $portList]"
>
> so I'll do a new macports, then build mythtv, then install *my* ports

> [...]

James, again you failed to fully answer my question.  Did you do ’sudo port clean libgcc11’.  This is important since we need to start a fresh build of the port.  If you failed to do that command, the build system may be trying to pick up where it left off previously.

What “migration” did you do?  I didn’t seen any indication that you were upgrading from one major OSX version to another?  So the Macports migration procedure [1] would NOT apply here.

[1] https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration>

Craig