[mythtv-users] The watch list could actually be useful with a little work

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Sun Mar 20 22:10:44 UTC 2022

On 20/03/2022 17:14, David Engel wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 04:32:47PM +0000, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> Maybe I'm missing something but, currently, the watch list seems entirely
>> useless: everything is in there, and it takes an age to find what you want.
>> I never use it. It just struck me that it could be useful if it behaved just
>> a little differently:
>
> The watch list could probably use some TLC.  The deveoper who wrote it
> hasn't been active for 14 years and really has no maintainer.  The
> idea is sound and innovative -- based on the user's, past viewing
> habits, try to provide a list of suggestions for what they might want
> to watch next.
>
>>   * Recording a series *doesn't* cause that series to be added to the watch
>> list automatically.
>>
>>   * Watching any episode of a series causes it to be added.
>
> These probably stems from the habit that some power users (including
> the original developer and I) use every new, TV season.  That is to
> setup recording rules for several new shows but don't start watching
> them right away.  The idea is to wait for half a season or even longer
> to see how the show is recevied by others and if it's going to
> survive.

Yes, that's how I'd like to use it. I think I may have been confusing in
how I've presented this: my bulleted list isn't complaints about how it
currently works. It's the conditions I'm suggesting it should use.

>>   * There's a way within the UI to explicitly remove a series even though you
>> haven't finished watching it.
>
> Did you mean "there's NO way"?  As written, I don't understand what
> you're trying to say.

Yes, I mean there is currently no way, and I wish there was. Possibly
you can remove a series by marking every episode as watched, but that's
not a good option.

>> I'm not sure I fancy taking this on, but just thought I'd see what people
>> make of the idea.
>
> Patches are always welcome.  I understand the watch list could be
> dauting.  If you don't want to take it all on, then start small

If there turns out to be support for the idea and consensus as to how it
should work, I might have a go.

P.