[mythtv-users] ***SPAM*** Re: The watch list could actually be useful with a little work

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Sun Mar 20 13:44:04 UTC 2022

On 19/03/2022 18:53, Peter Bennett wrote:
> On 3/19/22 12:32, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> Maybe I'm missing something but, currently, the watch list seems
>> entirely useless: everything is in there, and it takes an age to find
>> what you want. I never use it. It just struck me that it could be
>> useful if it behaved just a little differently:
>>
>>  * Recording a series *doesn't* cause that series to be added to the
>> watch list automatically.
>>
>>  * Watching any episode of a series causes it to be added.
>>
>>  * There's a way within the UI to explicitly remove a series even
>> though you haven't finished watching it.
>>
>> I'm not sure I fancy taking this on, but just thought I'd see what
>> people make of the idea.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>     Paul.
>>
> This is what leanfront does in the "Recently viewed" list. leanfront is
> an alternative to mythfrontend. It has a different UI and needs an
> android TV device. If you don't have an Android TV device you can get an
> onn from Walmart for $20.
>
> https://github.com/bennettpeter/android-MythTV-Leanfront#readme
>
> The "recently viewed" list is local on leanfront, so if you have
> multiple android tv devices each has its own list. There is a process to
> copy the list from one to another but it overwrites what was on the
> receiving device. It does not merge the lists.

It was partly the fact that leanfront's "Recently viewed" list is
actually useful that made me think this, but there's a nice aspect of
mythfrontend's watch list that leanfront doesn't seem to include. If a
series is in the watchlist then it shows the oldest episode that has yet
to be watched; with leanfront - after watching one episode - I seem to
have to watch a few seconds of the next, otherwise the series is lost
from the list. Something between the two might be best.

Paul.