[mythtv-users] mythfrontend performance over x11vnc

TimP mythtv at corky.co
Thu Mar 17 07:35:49 UTC 2022

<offtopic>

On 2022-03-17 03:06, Stephen Worthington wrote:

> If it is in standby (still has power from the
> mains), a monitor/TV will often respond to EDID requests.  And my old
> Sony 1080p TV actually responds to EDID requests even when it is
> unplugged from the mains - it must be getting enough power from its
> HDMI cable to be able to do that.  It only does not respond if the
> HDMI cable is unplugged.

Your Sony TV is doing it correctly. There is power in the HDMI cable
explicitly for powering the EDID circuity (really just a serial EPROM).
The EDID in the monitor is supposed to be powered from the cable and not
the mains. Most monitors get this right, but most TV's do not. The
reason is cost, You really should have a separate EDID circuit for each
input so that any combination of inputs can read an EDID (at any time).
TVs have lots of inputs and cut costs by having one EDID circuit powered
from the mains.
Powering the EDID from the cable goes back at least as far as VGA, and
it's in DisplayPort. I'm not sure about newer connections.

Cheers,
Tim.