[mythtv-users] mythfrontend performance over x11vnc

Dave Ulrick d-ulrick at comcast.net
Wed Mar 16 21:38:10 UTC 2022

I have two Intel NUC boxes that I use to run mythfrontend under Fedora
34. I like to do most administration remotely using x11vnc. (That way I
can use an ergonomic keyboard and sit in front of a monitor that's
within good viewing distance...much more comfortable than using a
wireless keyboard while trying to look at a distant TV.)

Sometimes remote control is nearly as fast as it would be to control the
box locally--the OpenGL fade effects look pretty good and recording
playback is very close to optimal--but other times it's extremely slow:
 > 1 second delay for response to any keystroke. Once the slow behavior
kicks in, it persists from one x11vnc session to another until
mythfrontend is restarted or the box's monitor (TV) is turned on.

Note that the x11vnc slowness occurs even if I implement the solutions
recommended for slowness issues: set -noxdamage, disable desktop
compositing, disable vblank, etc..

Just now I figured out how this issue occurs:

1. The remote PC's monitor is turned off.
2. The screensaver on the remote PC has blanked the screen.
3. x11vnc is invoked.
4. The VNC viewer connects and shows a blank screen.
5. Pressing a key brings the screen to life but from then on
mythfrontend is very slow via x11vnc.

My guess as to what's going on is that when the PC turns off the
monitor, the X server loses sync so x11vnc falls back on a
timeout-driven refresh scheme.

I have come up with a simple solution.

In my use case, I only have a monitor--that is, an HDTV switched to an
HDMI input--turned on when I'm watching MythTV content. Otherwise, the
monitor is turned off. Therefore, there's no need to run a screen saver.
I didn't find a quick way to stop the screensaver (xfce4-screensaver)
from running so I just went ahead and removed it from the boxes (dnf
remove xfce4-screensaver).

Since removing the screensaver, the screen hasn't blanked so
mythfrontend has retained fast performance over VNC.

Hope this helps someone out...

Dave