[mythtv-users] mythfrontend jerky with motion on dual-monitor setup

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 12:32:02 UTC 2022

On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 8:21 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Mar 2022 07:27:46 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >I have a workstation with 2 FHD monitors. This is convenient for many
> >things but watching mythfrontend on one monitor while browsing the web is
> >also a use case for me.
> >
> >I have noticed with V32 that this arrangement has jerky video when viewing
> >an HD 1080i recording that it didn't have with v32.
> >
> >This workstation is a frontend only and it's based on a Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB
> >RAM, and an Nvidia GP108 (GeForce GT 1030) video card.  The OS is Kubuntu
> >21.10 and it seems to have the Nvidia drive installed but to me the
> >Additional Drivers page is odd. It says at the bottom that No proprietary
> >drivers are in use and says the driver is manually installed. Everything
> is
> >grayed out.
> >
> >How can I fix this and is this most likely the source of my video problem?
> >
> >Jim A
>
> Check your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file to see if the Nvidia drivers are
> actually being used.  If not, try purging the Nvidia packages
> completely and reinstalling them.  It is best to reboot after the
> purge, but you need to have ssh access from another PC to then do the
> reinstall as you are unlikely to get a GUI screen.
>
> If the Nvidia drivers are actually being used, the log file should
> show a line like this:
>
> [    35.266] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): DELL 2707WFP (DFP-1): connected
>
> when your monitor connects to the GPU.  And there will be heaps of
> other lines with "NVIDIA" in all capitals telling you what the Nvidia
> drivers are doing.

Thanks,  I think that Kubuntu does something weird on installation.  I know
that on my system if I select install 3rd party drivers on install the
Installation program crashes.  So I installed it with that option
unchecked.   That must be why they don't allow you to change your mind
later and gray everything out.  So I did: "sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall"
and then rebooted.

Now all the normal options are available in mythfrontend and I can select
NVDEC and it works correctly with no jerkiness.

Thanks,

JIm A