[mythtv-users] MythTV Light Builds

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 19:25:57 UTC 2022

On Sun, Mar 13, 2022 at 2:19 PM Ken Mandelberg <km at mathcs.emory.edu> wrote:

> James Abernathy wrote on 3/9/22 21:00:
>
> This was discussed on the mythtv forum (link below). But here is a quick
> summary.
> use this command:
>  QT_QPA_EGLFS_ALWAYS_SET_MODE="1" QT_QPA_PLATFORM=eglfs
> QT_QPA_EGLFS_KMS_CONFIG=./pi_mythfrontend.json mythfrontend --noupnp
> --logpath /tmp
>
> and create ./pi_mythfrontend.json:
> { "device": "/dev/dri/by-path/platform-gpu-card", "outputs": [ { "name":
> "HDMI1", "mode": "1920x1080 at 60" } ] }
> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4694
>
> Jim A
>
> This gave me good results for the GUI and standard definition on my rpi3B
> (not plus).
>
> This included the wiki suggestions of adding the mpg license, raising
> gpu_mem to 256, using V4L2, and adding
>
> echo "performance" |sudo tee
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
>
> The problem is that almost all my recordings come from Xfinity (USA)
> hdhomerun, and are high def. These recording skip too much to be really
> usable.
>
> Other than that there are some references in the Wiki I'm unclear on.
> There is UK reference for playback profile changes, and a suggestion to use
> OpenMax for playback (which doesn't work at all for me).
>
> Have I just reached the limit of a 3B?

It's hard enough to get the RPI4 right so I have not attempted anything on
the RPI3B+.  I've completely retired both my RPI3B+'s and concentrated on
RPI4 which at this point is very good.
In fact I don't even use the RPIB+ for a Pi-Hole ad blocker. When I built
an IOTstack for environmental monitoring around the house, I included the
Docker container for Pi-Hole in that stackup.

Jim A