[mythtv-users] setting up a AirTV Anywhere tuner with MythTV

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 15:36:42 UTC 2022

On Fri, Jun 24, 2022 at 11:28 AM glen <glenb at glenb.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2022-06-24 at 11:17 -0400, James Abernathy wrote:
>

> On Fri, Jun 24, 2022 at 11:06 AM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2022 at 9:56 AM glen <glenb at glenb.net> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 2022-06-24 at 09:03 -0500, Greg Oliver wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2022 at 5:56 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> When I signed up for Sling TV streaming service to complement my OTA
> MythTV system I had the opportunity to get a package deal that gave me a
> AirTV Anywhere OTA tuner/DVR that would integrate with the Sling TV app so
> you could have the OTA channels alongside the streaming channels.
>
> The integrated OTA DVR part of this isn't working out very well. So I
> thought about maybe seeing if I could somehow hack the thing to work with
> Mythtv as a Quad Tuner only. At a minimum I could remove the 1TB SSD and
> use it elsewhere, but maybe find an API interface for it?
>
> Any thoughts on how to proceed?
>

> I would assume if you programmed a channel changing script to talk to it
> (it appears to run android), you could use the MythTV streaming recorder to
> record them as tuners.  I do not have one to play with, but it seems there
> is a lot of info out there to use them without Sling.  There must be an API
> that Sling uses to talk to them and figuring it out with packet captures
> should be fairly simple I would guess (guess the main word here!).
>

> i don't believe it would be simple to use sling's api and have myth to
> record a stream in the absence of getting something to override the hdcp
> and just record from the android box. i believe that these services use
> some form of a token that must be changed all the time to pass the stream
> and also a degree of redirection. i don't think a myth tuner as it stands
> could record from sling in the absence of a hdmi recording device and
> something to strip hdcp which is not authorized typically
>

> There should be no HDCP on OTA, and afaict, theat device is not even hdmi,
> but rather just communicates over the network.  I may be completely wrong
> though :)
>

> The AirTV Anywhere is a stand-alone box that plugs into the ethernet or
> wifi and connects to the antenna.  You view streaming channels or OTA via
> the Sling app on either FireTV, Shield TV or other client.  When you first
> plug and turn on the AirTV, you can use the Sling app on Firetv to set up
> the DVR.  Once you scan channels you just see the OTA in the Sling guide.
> If you select to record on an OTA channel it uses the 1TB internal drive.
> If you select to record on a streaming channel it records it on the Cloud
> DVR.
>
> Jim A
>
> if i understand, it sounds like the hdhomerun app and dvr service. if
> thats the case there is probably an api as there is with the hdhomerun.

I'm sure Sling isn't interested in supporting the AirTV as just a tuner/DVR
like SiliconDust supports hdhomerun DVR.   I tried for a month to set up
OTA recordings on the AirTV, but the FF/Rewind really sucked on the Sling
app.

I will continue to use Mythtv to record all my OTA programs and use the
FireTV Leanfront to watch them.  But if I can use the AirTV Anywhere as
another OTA tuner for Mythtv that would be a plus.

Either way I need an indoor project on the 99 degree days. So I'll continue
playing with it.

Jim A