[mythtv-users] setting up a AirTV Anywhere tuner with MythTV

glen glenb at glenb.net
Fri Jun 24 14:55:11 UTC 2022

On Fri, 2022-06-24 at 09:03 -0500, Greg Oliver wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2022 at 5:56 AM James Abernathy
> <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > When I signed up for Sling TV streaming service to complement my
> > OTA MythTV system I had the opportunity to get a package deal that
> > gave me a AirTV Anywhere OTA tuner/DVR that would integrate with
> > the Sling TV app so you could have the OTA channels alongside the
> > streaming channels.
> >
> > The integrated OTA DVR part of this isn't working out very well. So
> > I thought about maybe seeing if I could somehow hack the thing to
> > work with Mythtv as a Quad Tuner only. At a minimum I could remove
> > the 1TB SSD and use it elsewhere, but maybe find an API interface
> > for it?
> >
> > Any thoughts on how to proceed?
> >

> I would assume if you programmed a channel changing script to talk to
> it (it appears to run android), you could use the MythTV streaming
> recorder to record them as tuners.  I do not have one to play with,
> but it seems there is a lot of info out there to use them without
> Sling.  There must be an API that Sling uses to talk to them and
> figuring it out with packet captures should be fairly simple I would
> guess (guess the main word here!).

i don't believe it would be simple to use sling's api and have myth to
record a stream in the absence of getting something to override the
hdcp and just record from the android box. i believe that these
services use some form of a token that must be changed all the time to
pass the stream and also a degree of redirection. i don't think a myth
tuner as it stands could record from sling in the absence of a hdmi
recording device and something to strip hdcp which is not authorized
typically