[mythtv-users] directly connecting HDHR to spare LAN port

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Jun 23 10:08:15 UTC 2022

On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 19:36:31 +0100, you wrote:

>I don't (quite :) run 50 devices but I must have at least that many defined on the whole system.
>
>The way I do it:
>
>A home-built router with a Jetway NF692G6-345 motherboard which has 6 gigabyte ports, one of which
>of course will be my WAN link. This runs pFsense. There are (presently) 13 subnets defined, most of
>which are VLANs, some of which are just used to control the switches. This router provides DHCP for
>everything. Of course I have added the firewall rules I need to manage the lot.
>
>Five TP-Link Gigabyte switches, various, one to each of the LAN ports on the router. Two are simple
>8-port unmanaged switches, there's an 8-port managed POE switch, a five port managed switch and a
>16-port managed switch. (Managed = VLAN capable.)
>
>One of the unmanaged switches has everything mythtv plugged into it: server, two frontends and two
>HDHRs. The other one has all my main workstations plugged into it, but it is at capacity so I might
>do some switching around in future.
>
>The POE switch has a zoneminder server and (presently) two cameras plugged into it. POE drives the
>cameras and the switch keeps all the traffic off the rest of the network.
>
>The five-port switch is presently spare but is often used for testing or upgrades.
>
>The 16-port switch is 'everything else', it is my oldest switch and once ran everything. It has
>plugged into it a TP-Link wireless AP (via a POE injector), a HP printer, the Central Heating
>connection (tado - I'm thinking of getting rid of it) and the BT set-top box. Each of those is on a
>separate VLAN and, apart from the printer, can only talk to the Internet. This switch is underused,
>so I may swap that for the 8-port mentioned above, but that requires buying another 8-port managed
>switch.
>
>Phew! TLDR: after a long period of evolution I have separated each function out onto a switch of its
>own, which means that traffic on any one does not affect any of the others. Managed switches are not
>too expensive these days. I have found the TP-Link ones to be reliable enough and don't overload you
>with centralised management requirements - or the need to speak to something in the 'cloud' to do
>anything.

If you are starting from scratch, you do not need to use separate
switches for separate subnets.  Just use a larger managed switch and
use vlans to separate the subnets.  Make one subnet use the switch
with no vlan, and all other subnets each use their own vlan.  Set up
the switch for each subnet vlan so that it adds the vlan tag to all
incoming packets and removes it from all outgoing packets on all ports
for that subnet.

You still need a separate switch to do POE, unless you want to pay for
having POE on your big managed switch, which would make it rather more
expensive.  I have only one POE device, so I am just using a POE
injector with it, and it also connects to my main switch.