[mythtv-users] directly connecting HDHR to spare LAN port

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Jun 21 01:41:28 UTC 2022

On Mon, 20 Jun 2022 19:30:49 -0400, you wrote:

>On Mon, Jun 20, 2022, 1:59 PM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> other is 1Gb.  Is there a simple way to connect a HDHomeRun Connect tuner
>>> any record problems that I'm having from being network related??

>>> cable connection to a HDHomeRun without any configuration whatsoever. No
>>> works. Of course, then the HDHomeRun cannot be accessed by anything else in
>>> devices on the network.

>>> I used the link local solution too. To get to my HDHR's web page, I have
>>> a function:
>>>
>>> function hdhr() {
>>>      HDHRIP=$(ssh yourbackendhostname "hdhomerun_config discover"|grep
>>> 169.254|cut -d' ' -f6)
>>>      echo -e "\nTo connect to the HDHR, use: http://localhost:8001\n"
>>>      ssh -L 8001:${HDHRIP}:80 yourbackendhostname
>>> }
>>>

>>> Typing: hdhr will print a link that can be opened.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bill
>>>
>>> The simplest way to do it is just setup both ethernet ports into a bridge:
>>

>> ip link add *br0* type bridge
>> ip link set *br0* up
>> ip link set eth0 up (or whatever your ifnames are)
>> ip link set eth1 up
>> ip link set eth0 master br0
>> ip link set eth1 master br0
>>
>> With this, both ethernet ports will get DHCP from your existing router.
>>
>> -Greg
>>

>I like this solution. I understand bridges from using them with libvirt kvm.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jim A

The downside of bridging is that all the broadcast traffic is sent to
the new subnet.  That can be ok if you are not doing large amounts of
broadcast traffic, but if you do multimedia broadcasting (ie large
broadcast packets) it will use up significant bandwidth and defeat the
purpose of using a separate subnet for the network tuners.