[mythtv-users] directly connecting HDHR to spare LAN port

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 21:07:09 UTC 2022

On 6/14/22 08:52, Klaas de Waal wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 at 21:07, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I have a NUC with  2 RJ45 ports on the back. One is 2.5Gb and the other is 1Gb.  Is there a simple way to connect a HDHomeRun Connect tuner
>     to one of these ports so it would work with Mythtv and eliminate any record problems that I'm having from being network related??
>

> On my production system I have a separate network card with a direct cable connection to a HDHomeRun without any configuration whatsoever. No
> fixed IP addresses, no DHCP, no routing, not anything and it just works. Of course, then the HDHomeRun cannot be accessed by anything else in
> the network but that does definitely eliminate interference from other devices on the network.
>
> Klaas.

I used the link local solution too. To get to my HDHR's web page, I have a function:

function hdhr() {
     HDHRIP=$(ssh yourbackendhostname "hdhomerun_config discover"|grep 169.254|cut -d' ' -f6)
     echo -e "\nTo connect to the HDHR, use: http://localhost:8001\n"
     ssh -L 8001:${HDHRIP}:80 yourbackendhostname
}

Typing: hdhr will print a link that can be opened.

--
Bill