[mythtv-users] Mythfilldatabase taking FOREVER

Larry Kennedy lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 20:46:57 UTC 2022

On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 12:30 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/4/22 22:50, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> > On Sat, 4 Jun 2022 21:33:09 -0400, you wrote:
> >
> >> Recently, I'm noticing that mythfilldtabase is taking something like 12
> >> hours to finish. I know we had some issues with SD and the backend
> >> maintenance, so not sure if that has been fully resolved.
> >>
> >> I'm on Ubuntu 18.04 and mythtv v30.0.  I use the sdjson_sqlite grabber
> >> v1.109 and xmltv v0.5.70.  I only have about 100 channels set as
> "selected"
> >> in the sqlite database.
> >>
> >> Mythfilldatabase sits forever on the message "pruning local database"
> >>
> >> I see very low CPU utilization on a four vCPU i7 VM with 8GB RAM.
> >>
> >> Any thoughts on why this is taking so long?
> >>
> >> Larry
>
> Does the disk thrash during the run? I found that mythfilldatabase took
> a long time and there was considerable disk thrashing. My solution was
> to add nobarrier in the fstab for the fie system that stores the mysql
> database.
>
> UUID=f8877741-668e-462b-8315-613a44fc5698 /               ext4
> nobarrier,errors=remount-ro  0       1
>
> If you have an SSD this is likely not applicable. In my case with a hard
> drive this was a huge improvement.
>
> HTH. YMMV.

Peter, I looked into this, thinking it might be slow I/O.  I ran a test
using dd to copy to a file on the same filesystem as mysql.

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/var/lib/test.img bs=1G count=1 oflag=dsync

I got ~36MB/sec which is about right for spinning disks.  I've not noticed
any disk thrashing.

Larry