[mythtv-users] appletv

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 20:48:13 UTC 2022

On Sat, 11 Jun 2022, 3:17 am Simon,

> Apple TV (AKAIK) runs iOS, which is about as closed a walled garden as you
> are likely to find. You have to build using Apple’s tools, use only the
> APIs Apple approve of (even though it’s been proved they have others that
> they use themselves), (other than “internal” operations - such as
> corporates loading on their now devices) you can only distribute it via
> Apple’s store, and if you charge any money (whether for the app or for
> add-ons) then you can only take payment via Apple’s store (and they’ll take
> 30%), and there’s a real biggie for FOSS, you *might* not be able to do it
> legally anyway !
>
> If your code started as GPL, then you have to abide by GPL rules for
> licensing. No problem you think, I’m happy providing the code. But the
> problem is that you can’t provide the code for the App that people download
> from Apple - because Apple sign the apps. You are physically unable to
> provide a “if you feed this into your compile system with these options,
> you will get the same as the binary you’ve downloaded” source file as you
> don’t have access to the keys or the signing system. I recall reading that
> this was the reason for something (I can’t remember what now, it was a
> while ago) not being available for iOS.
> I don’t recall how, if at all, this got resolved. And clearly it will vary
> between different FOSS licences.

That may be mostly correct, although at work we have an app for iPads
developed in-house that isn't distributed by the App Store. We install it
(the app IPA file) on iPads using Mac software called Apple Configurator.
The iPad is connected to the Mac by a USB cable for the install.

Note we do have an Enterprise Developer account with Apple which costs a
few hundred dollars a year, so it's not free.
And the installation method isn't convenient. But if someone was determined
it may be an option. I think it shows it's at least possible.

Regards,
Phill