[mythtv-users] Mythfilldatabase taking FOREVER

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 13:39:59 UTC 2022

On 6/5/22 08:16, Larry Kennedy wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 4, 2022 at 11:09 PM Gary Buhrmaster
> <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, Jun 5, 2022 at 2:48 AM Larry Kennedy
>     <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     > Does it make sense that it is removing and then inserting the
>     same program?  This log entry suggests wasted effort, unless I'm
>     missing something:
>
>     There are numerous checks to determine if the
>     existing program is *really* the same (with all the
>     details).  Sometimes it is, sometimes it is not
>     ("generic" programs such as news often get
>     updates as the time gets closer to the "now"
>     value).  And mythfilldatabase does some additional
>     adjustments of the data that can (next run) result
>     in detections of changes.  Some of which was
>     improved with recent (supported) releases of
>     MythTV.
>
>     First thing is move to a current OS version and a
>     currently supported MythTV version and a currently
>     supported version of the xmltv grabber and see if
>     things get different.
>

> Thanks, Gary.  I've been meaning to upgrade to ubuntu lts 20 and
> mythtv v31.

Older versions of mythfilldatabase used a huge amount of memory. If you
have a 4GB machine it could be swapping extensively. I have a script
that deals with that problem by splitting the run into separate pieces,
a few days at a time instead of the full 14 days in one load. The change
to fix this was made in February 2020. fixes/31 and later do not have
this problem.

Peter