[mythtv-users] HDMI audio only 2.0

Justin Smith justin at smithpolglase.com
Sun Jun 5 01:35:31 UTC 2022

Hi,

I didn't get any response to my earlier email but I have managed to get
somewhere so here's an update:

On Tue, 31 May 2022 at 23:34, Justin Smith <justin at smithpolglase.com> wrote:
> I've just put together a new mythtv box which uses an Intel i5-12400
running on an
> Asus B660M motherboard. It's running Ubuntu 22.04 desktop minimal and
mythtv 32 fixes
> from the standard ppa. I'm using the built-in HDMI connected to a Marantz
5.1 receiver
> with the receiver HDMI out connected to the TV.

> My problem is that I cannot configure 5.1 audio. No matter what audio
output device I
> set, the "Digital Audio Capabilities" menu remains greyed out, and the
speaker
> configuration fixed at Stereo.

> 2022-05-31 22:40:32.104090 I  Found ALSA:hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 (HDA Intel
PCH, HDMI 0
> HDMI Audio Output (marantz-AVR connected to HDMI)
> Device supports up to 2.0 (LPCM, AC3, DTS, E-AC3, DTS-HD, TrueHD))

I tested with Kodi and VLC with the same issue. But then I realised that
Kodi was using PulseAudio, so I disabled PulseAudio and configured Kodi to
use ALSA:hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0. This worked! Now I had fancy HD audio
passthrough. But MythTV still didn't work. With the same audio device it
was stuck as 2 channels and the "Digital Audio Capabilities" menu remains
greyed out.

Looking at the Kodi log, I could see that it was opening
"hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0,AES0=0x06,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x00,AES3=0x09". I have no
idea what those ASE codes mean or do but I knew that you could set a custom
audio device in Myth so I set it to the same string.

Voila!

The "Digital Audio Capabilities" menu came alive, I could enable all the
digital audio formats and set my speakers to 7.1. Passthrough worked as
indicated on my receiver.

I then removed the AES codes from the audio device (i.e. set it back to
original) and passthrough was still working.

So there seems to be a bug here, but so far all good here.

Cheers,
Justin.