[mythtv-users] Digital audio Capability grayed out

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 17:23:58 UTC 2022

On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 12:54 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 12:26 PM Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 07/28/2022 09:39 AM, James Abernathy wrote:
>> >

>> > On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 8:44 AM Michael T. Dean
>> > <mtdean at thirdcontact.com <mailto:mtdean at thirdcontact.com>> wrote:
>> >
>> >     On 07/26/2022 08:54 PM, James Abernathy wrote:
>> >     > I have v32 installed on a PC connected to an A/V receiver running
>> >     > Endeavour OS. My audio is set up for HDMI 5.1 and both Plasma KDE
>> >     > Audio mixer test and cli command "speaker-test" all work
>> perfectly.
>> >     >
>> >     > However, In Mythfrontend -> Setup -> Audio Digital Audio
>> >     Capabilities
>> >     > is non functional. I cannot select it and the choice for Speaker
>> >     > Configuration is Stereo only.
>> >     >
>> >     > What am I missing to enable the 5.1 audio?
>> >     >

>> >     My best guess--without any information, as you might be able to
>> >     find in
>> >     the logs--would be that you've selected the wrong "Audio output
>> >     device".  Try others, even if the one you selected is the one that
>> >     seems
>> >     to work with speaker-test.
>> >
>> >     Mike
>> >

>> > I run mythfrontend -v audio and the log for my HDMI-1 is below.
>> > What I don't get is why it thinks the device only supports 2.0 instead
>> > of 5.1.  The OS clearly can use the 5.1 channels and So can test
>> > websites that have 5.1 test streams.
>> >
>> > 2022-07-28 09:08:20.087530 I  ALSA: OpenDevice hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0

>> > 2022-07-28 09:08:20.106314 I  Found ALSA:hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 (HDA
>> > Intel PCH, HDMI 0
>> > HDMI Audio Output (DENON-AVRHD Connected to HDMI)
>> > Device Supports Up to 2.0 (LPCM, AC3, DTS, DSD (One Bit Audio), E-AC3,
>> > DTS-HD, TrueHD))
>> >

>> Are you choosing the device using the selector?  If not, you may not
>> have exactly what's required to get full capabilities.  Try selecting a
>> definitely-wrong device, then go through all the settings pages and back
>> to the settings menu.  Then go back through, and it should show the
>> wrong device you just selected.  Select the right device, and see what
>> happens.
>>
>> In general, the selector will show the value that's saved as well as
>> what mythfrontend finds through probing.  If what you had saved was
>> wrong (close, but not quite right), it will seem like a valid option.
>> If you select something completely different, then go through all the
>> settings pages, it will save your currently selected device to the one
>> you just selected (which is one mythfrontend found through probing),
>> thus ensuring that the only ones in the list are ones that it found
>> through probing (and, therefore, ones that are properly and fully
>> specified).  So when you go back through and select the right one, it's
>> the one you want, specified the way MythTV wants.
>>
>> Mike

> [...]

Here's some additional information. I took a 5.1 test file and put it in my
/home/jim/Videos directory and set up mythtv to have that directory
included in its list of directories for the Videos Storage group.  I think
it is playing with 5.1 sound using mythfrontend -> Media Library -> Play
Videos. I can also play that video in Celluloid player and Kodi. The 5.1 is
correct there.  I don't have a recorded TV program now that I can test Kodi
with the kodi-prv-mythtv addon to see if it is truly 5.1

It seems to be something in the way mythfrontend is detecting the
capabilities of the audio on my hdmi channel. Other Linux player seem to
not have this issue.

Jim A