[mythtv-users] using EIT for broadcast guide data

Klaas de Waal klaas.de.waal at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 18:45:48 UTC 2022

On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 at 20:07, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure of the proper way to configure this.  I created 2 tuners,
> both HDHR ATSC 1.0. I do not have the setting for constant EIT checked. My
> understanding is if this is checked it locks the tuner even though the
> tuner is not in use.
>
> All other EIT settings are default.  What I notice is if I view the
> Program Guide and there is no data, I can hit enter and it will go to that
> channel for Live TV.  If I stop that I now have guide data for about 12
> hours for that block of channels, i.e. 5_1, 5_2, and 5_3.
>
> However, if I don't tune to that channel again, I get no more EPG data. I
> have mythfilldatabase set to run via systemd timer/service, but it skips
> the source since it's EIT.
>
> Bottom line: how do you get EIT data updated 2-3 times a day without
> having to tune to the channel?
>
> JIm A

The usual way of configuring EIT is like this:
- one video source, EIT is selected
- two capture cards (for a two-channel HDHomeRun)
- both capture cards connected to the same video source
- the first capture card is configured for  active EIT

This will keep one capture card busy all the time; it will go through all
channels and find all available EIT information.
As soon as this capture card is needed for a recording (or for live TV) the
EIT scan is stopped so both capture cards
are still available. But yes, your system will be somewhat busy when
collecting EIT.

When you do not configure a capture card for active EIT then EIT will be
collected by the first capture card when it is recording.
It will then capture whatever is present on the transport stream multiplex
of the selected channel but it could be that this is just for a few
channels, not for all channels that you can receive.

For the details about having to use the first capture card of a HDHomeRun
for EIT, see also
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning#EIT_program_guide_information.

Hope this helps,
Klaas.