[mythtv-users] Connecting Mythtv Leanfront to a VM running mythtv-backend?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 13:47:13 UTC 2022

On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 9:29 AM Tom Bishop <bishoptf at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 8:25 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 9:05 AM Tom Bishop <bishoptf at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> to video acceleration etc but I have run my backend forever as a kvm vm and
>>> I have never had any issues with it working properly soni assume there is
>>> something else at play, should work just fine.
>>>

>> That's kind of what I thought. I just used Kodi on a PC and set its IP to
>> match the VM's IP and It works great and confirms that my Frontend on the
>> VM being jerky is a VM lack of Video acceleration issue.  Kodi plays what
>> the backend on the VM recorded very well.
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> There is a pvr plugin for mythtv on kodi, that is what I use if you want
> to try to play with it from a myth perspective. I've only used kodi to
> connect to mythtv but it really shouldn't matter from a frontend
> perspective.

I'm using the mythtv pvr plugin for kodi and have for years. If I'm testing
a backend it's always easier to use Kodi to test it than mythfrontend,
since there are a million and 1 ways to screw that up.  Leanfront has
become my replacement frontend that's easy to use and change from one
backend to another. However, this is the first time I've had it fail.  If
I'm using a new backend on a RPI4 or PC Leanfront is my goto.  The VM issue
is the first time I've noticed a hiccup  with it.

Jim A