[mythtv-users] rsync?

James jam at tigger.ws
Sun Jul 24 23:30:08 UTC 2022

> On 25 Jul 2022, at 5:13 am, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> My myth-box is a dual boot Ubuntu 20.04/22.04. Mythtv and various other things are all working on 20.04, and 22.04 is a fresh install.
>
> Can "rsync" be used to bring all the files that I have added to 20.04 over the years and write them in their respective locations onto 22.04?
>
> Regular exclusions, I expect, like the full OS backup:
> https://ostechnix.com/backup-entire-linux-system-using-rsync/ <https://ostechnix.com/backup-entire-linux-system-using-rsync/>
> and maybe a few more exclusions like /home/daryl* ?
>
> Or should it be written in an inclusive format, and what would that look like?

A non specific reply:

I found 22.04 running on an 4xi7 NUC iffy in so many ways that after 2-3 weeks I replaced with openSuSE.
I was running fixes/32 and to my query Stephen Worthington opined that one should avoid LTS until .1.
EG (of many) I use backintime, but it has python issues and wont run on 22.04

In answer to your rsync query the general answer is yes, but the reverse is no ie an executable compiled on 22.04 will not run on 20.04.

The HES of ubuntu makes 22.04 sort of redundant and I did not find any SW that was availble on 22.04 that was not available on 20.04

James

PS I find a myriad of ting glitches on fixes/32 that I never saw on fixes/31. EG watching everything I think is relevant on nmon, I get eg .4s pause in 10 min. Both opseSuSE and 22.04 were the same (for other reasons 24M ram on m2 (using trim!)