[mythtv-users] Transcoding Error

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 10:33:45 UTC 2022

On 20/07/2022 23:23, Roland Ernst wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 12:06 AM Jay Foster <jayf0ster at roadrunner.com
> <mailto:jayf0ster at roadrunner.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 7/20/22 12:29 PM, Jay Foster wrote:
>      > On 7/20/22 12:04 PM, Jay Harbeston wrote:
>      >>
>      >>> On Jul 20, 2022, at 2:26 PM, Jay Foster
>     <jayf0ster at roadrunner.com <mailto:jayf0ster at roadrunner.com>>
>      >>> wrote:
>      >>>
>      >>> On 7/20/22 10:52 AM, Jay Harbeston wrote:
>      >>>>> On Jul 20, 2022, at 1:26 PM, Jay Foster
>     <jayf0ster at roadrunner.com <mailto:jayf0ster at roadrunner.com>>
>      >>>>> wrote:
>      >>>>>
>      >>>>> I created a cut list for a recording and ran a transcode job to
>      >>>>> cut the commercials out.  I do this all the time, but this time,
>      >>>>> the transcode job failed.  Mythweb backend status reports
>     mean?  How
>      >>>>> do I fix it?
>      >>>>>
>      >>>>> I looked in /var/log/mythtv for logs, but, although there are
>     log
>      >>>>> files there, they contain nothing recent.  They are
>     months/years old.
>      >>>> The log file will be named mythtranscode.log . In ubuntu it is
>      >>>> indeed in /var/log/mythtv.  Maybe find or locate will assist
>     you in
>      >>>> finding it.
>      >>>>
>      >>>> You need the info that would be in it.
>      >>>>
>      >>>> Regards
>      >>>> _______________________________________________
>      >>>> mythtv-users mailing list
>      >>>> mythtv-users at mythtv.org <mailto:mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>      >>>> http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
>     <http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette>
>      >>>> MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org <https://forum.mythtv.org>
>      >>> Yes, I found that file, but it contains no recent entries.
>      >>>
>      >> <SNIP>
>      > mythtv-users mailing list
>      > mythtv-users at mythtv.org <mailto:mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>      > http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
>     <http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette>
>      > MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org <https://forum.mythtv.org>
>
>     Is there a way to use handbrake or ffmpeg and the cutlist generated
>     from
>     mythfrontend to do the lossless (i.e., copy) MPEG2 editing offline?
>
>     Jay
>

> A view mythtv users use Project-X (1) together with a script named
> mythcutprojectx (2).
> But this is even more ancient (around 2010).
> At least, Project-X tries to repair a bad mpeg2 recording.
> I would check all the cables and the antenna itself and do a
> signal/noise measurement,
> and see if this error raise again.
>
> (1) https://github.com/knowledgejunkie/Project-X
> <https://github.com/knowledgejunkie/Project-X>
> [...]
I'm still using Project-X for almost of my recordings from DVB-T in the
UK, but one multiplex produces files that it doesn't properly handle, at
least in its default configuration.  And I've just looked again at a CBS
clip from a thread last December, where it drops some but not all GOPs.
I think Issue #548 has just revealed the underlying cause.

The main change I have from the wiki script above is in the remuxing,
where I now use ffmpeg -fflags +genpts to .ts instead of mpegts to .mpg.
  ISTR that that fixed playback with leanfront on the firestick.

John P