[mythtv-users] Duplicate Detection Not Working?

Larry Kennedy lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 13:21:27 UTC 2022

On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 4:34 PM Kenneth Emerson <kenneth.emerson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 25, 2022, 12:08 PM Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hoi Kenneth,
>>
>> Saturday, June 25, 2022, 6:14:07 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> > I have noticed within the last few months that I am getting old
>> > shows that have previously been recorded being queued to record
>> > again.  I can't say for sure how long this has been happening, but
>> > perhaps as long as a year.  It has become obvious as the current
>> > season ended and 'new' episodes have popped up that have previously
>> aired, been watched and deleted.
>>

>> > I've compared the episode data of the 'new' recording with what is
>> > in the recorded table and the ProgramID, Title, Subtitle and
>> > Description are identical.  I found in the archives of this forum a
>> > response from Peter Bennett responding to another user who was
>> > having trouble with duplicate recordings.  The takeaway from his
>> > response was the value of the field labeled 'duplicate'.  He said
>> > that if this field was a zero (0), it would re-record.  I checked in
>> > my database and found that most, if not all, of the table's records
>> > were zero.  The same was true for the table oldrecorded.
>>

>> > I'm tempted to just set this field to a 1 for all records, but not
>> > truly knowing what this field is used for, thought I'd take a minute
>> > and ask the MythTV users for some more context.  I've already spent
>> > 1-2 hours going through some recordings, that I never delete,
>> > searching for and removing duplicates and was hoping I could find a
>> > way to make the duplicate checking start working again.
>>

>> > I am currently using:
>> > mythbackend - v32.0+fixes.202206242147.501f85b389~ubuntu20.04.1
>>
>> > mythfilldatabase - v32.0+fixes.202206242147.501f85b389~ubuntu20.04.1
>>

>> > Regards,
>>

>> > Ken Emerson
>>
>> Did you actively delete the previously watched or did you let them
>> auto expire? If the latter, there is a setting under the auto expire
>> settings: "Re-record watched". Possibly you have this setting enabled.
>>

>> Tot mails,
>>   Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>>
>> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
>> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
>> Het eeuwige dilemma
>> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>>
>> De lerende Mens
>>

> Hika,
>

> That's a good catch; alas, I only let recordings expire due to a max limit
>> that I set in the recording rules.  Once an episode is watched, it gets
>> deleted without the option to re-record.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ken Emerson

When I switched to myth v31 with the new SD grabber, I noticed a show that
used to record without duplicates started recording past episodes.  I
reported it and was told that this particular show never supported dup
detection, but somehow I never got the dups before.  Maybe mythtv V30
handled it, or maybe it was a change in the data, but I had to go into the
recording rule and tweak the options to get a better result.