[mythtv-users] [SOLVED] HDHomerun Prime with CableCard on Myth 0.29 via External (black box) Tuner

Christopher Sean Hilton chris at vindaloo.com
Fri Jul 15 16:46:38 UTC 2022

On Tue, Jul 12, 2022 at 08:23:34AM -0400, Chris Hilton wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I'm trying to connect my HDHomerun Prime to my Mythtv using the
> External (black box) tuner interface and the mythhdhrrecorder
> program. I think I've followed the instructions correctly but I
> probably haven't.

...snip...

I got the problem solved somewhat. As it turns out, I didn't need to
use the External tuner feature for my CATV connect HDHomerun Prime but
I still think it will be helpful for my Connect and Quattro.

* I have all my tuners: HDHomeruns, Prime, Connect, and Quattro, and
  my HD-PVR running. I was able to install them in an order the
  performs recording in the optimal manner.

Remaining Issues:

* I could not setup the HDHomerun Connect and Quattro without doing a
  channel scan. By itself the channel scan is not the issue. The issue
  is that both the Connect and the Quattro think that they have the
  same available channel lineup. Because the Connect and Quattro are
  connected to two different antennae they receive a differing set of
  channels from with my broacast area. Examples:

  - WTNHDT TV broadcasts from about 10 miles from my house, I receive it
    strongly from either HDHomerun.

  - WVITDT broadcasts from Hartford, I receive it well on the Quattro
    and not at all on the connect.

  - WWORDT broadcasts from the Freedom Tower in NYC. I receive it
    moderately well on the Connect and not at all on the Quattro.

  By my analysis, it looks like both the Connect and the Quattro think
  that they can tune from either antenna. As a result, When I try to
  tune WVITDT, the request is routed to the Connect, which I setup
  first, and the channel is unavailable. *Please remember that my
  frontend is likely to be MrMC running on an AppleTV.* Also, from the
  frontened, I only see three Video Sources: CableCard, the HDHomerun
  Prime, Cablebox, the HD-PVR, and Antenna. That's probably MrMC.

The setup functions now. There are tweaks I need to make. I really do
wish that I had some way to tell this setup to use the HDHomerun
Quattro when it tries to tune WVITDT.

I have other questions, I'll post them to the list.

Chris

     __o          "All I was trying to do was get home from work."
   _`\<,_           -Rosa Parks
Christopher Sean Hilton                    [chris/at/vindaloo/dot/com]