[mythtv-users] HDHomerun Prime with CableCard on Myth 0.29 via External (black box) Tuner

Christopher Sean Hilton chris at vindaloo.com
Tue Jul 12 16:17:23 UTC 2022

On Tue, Jul 12, 2022 at 10:10:47AM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:

> [ ...snip... ]
>
> You should be able to assign them to separate "capture cards" and then
> associate the separate "capture cards" with different inputs. As I see it
> the only restriction is that all tuners on one HDHR use the same input and
> listings source. I used to have a setup with separate tuners and listing
> sources back when basic channels on cable were not encrypted and a separate
> tuner could get the encrypted ones.
>
> I only have one hdhr so I can't test it, but let me know what the problem is
> with that.

I ran downstairs and deleted all the capture cards and created a new
capture card / video source binding for the HdHomerun Prime /
Cablecard layout. The HDHomerun Prime still reports as the Connect at
the Connect's IP address. However, I got all of the CableCard channels
and all of the ATSC channels in my guide. I cannot tune any of the
ATSC channels since I have no binding for the HD Homerun
Connect. *This is a big improvement.* I plan to blow away the database
and restart the configuration. I'll do the following order:

- Setup HD Homerun Prime / run tests
- Setup HD-PVR / Run tests
- Setup HD Homerun Connect / Run tests
- Setup HD Homerun Quattro / Run tests

If things work well, I should see any problems after I setup the HD
Homerun Connect. I do remain skeptical but hopeful. I'll report on the
outcome this afternoon.

Followup question: I'm setting up the HD Homerun Prime first because I
want the default to be capture channels from the Prime when
possible. I want to reserve the HD-PVR which is only one tuner for
channels that the Prime cannot record. When I'm done,  I expect this:

    SNYHD -> HD Homerun Prime tuner 0 / channel 718
    SNYHD -> HD Homerun Prime tuner 1 / channel 718
    SNYHD -> HD-PVR only tuner / channel 60

If SNY is the channel where the Mets play, I expect that scheduling a
Mets game to records will go through that list of resources in that
order. Are my expectations in line with reality? I didn't list the
third tuner on the HD Homerun Prime as I may reserve a tuner for the
HD Homerun App or VLC viewing.

--
Chris

     __o          "All I was trying to do was get home from work."
   _`\<,_           -Rosa Parks
Christopher Sean Hilton                    [chris/at/vindaloo/dot/com]