[mythtv-users] HDHomerun Prime with CableCard on Myth 0.29 via External (black box) Tuner

Christopher Sean Hilton chris at vindaloo.com
Tue Jul 12 15:40:37 UTC 2022

On Tue, Jul 12, 2022 at 04:01:53PM +0100, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 12/07/2022 13:23, Christopher Sean Hilton wrote:
> > Good morning,
> >
> (snip)

> > I'm having trouble verifying that things work this way. I have two
> > inputs connected to one logical video source. The video source is my
> > CATV feed. Once way to consume it is via my HD-PVR connected to cable
> > box. This gives me 1 tuner that can see all channels in my CATV feed. The
> > other way of consuming this source is via the HDHomerun Prime. This
> > gives me 3 tuners but they can only see the unecrypted
> > channels. Because of problems setting up the HDHomerun initially, I
> > setup the HD-PVR first and I think that Myth is prioritizing that
> > tuner. E.g. the Mets show on SNYHD, channel 60 on the Cable Box feed
> > and Channel 718 on the HDHomerun Prime feed. When I select 718 for
> > viewing in the guide in the front end, the Cable box changes to
> > channel 60.

> (snip)
> >
> I will not comment on the mechanics of connecting your tuers, others more knowledgable can do that.
>
> If you have two feeds providing two different selections of channels then
> you have to define a separate source for each of them.
>
> This makes sense: In mythv parlance, a 'source' defines not only the
> channels it can tune but the method used to tune them. Since the HD-PVR and
> the HDHR-Prime use two entirely different methods to access those channels
> then each has a different way of tuning them - hence separate sources.

I understand that and in fact, I expect it.

What I don't understand is:

* Why does my HDHomerun Prime show up as having 25 ATSC channels when
  it doesn't have an ATSC tuner so it can't have any ATSC channels?

* Why does my HDHomerun Prime show up with the IP address 172.x.y.62
  as an hdhomerun_atsc_4 tuner when this is the IP address and
  identity of my HD Homerun connect device?

I see both of these problems as potential errors in the system which
could cause me to not see the output that both you and I expect.

Chris

     __o          "All I was trying to do was get home from work."
   _`\<,_           -Rosa Parks
Christopher Sean Hilton                    [chris/at/vindaloo/dot/com]