[mythtv-users] HDHomerun Prime with CableCard on Myth 0.29 via External (black box) Tuner

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 14:10:47 UTC 2022

On 7/12/22 09:38, Christopher Sean Hilton wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2022 at 09:01:44AM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> On 7/12/22 08:23, Christopher Sean Hilton wrote:
>>> Good morning,
>>>
>>> [ ...snip... ]
>> Is there some problem with the built-in hd homerun support in MythTV, that
>> you want to use it via an external recorder? I used an HD Homerun Prime for
>> a few years with the built-in support. Since then the built-in support has
>> been improved with better reservation and allocation of tuners.
>>
>> Peter
>>
> When I run through the normal path on my HDHomerun Prime, which is
> connected via cable card to my CATV feed, It discovers 25 ATSC
> Terrestrial channels and it cannot tune anything. Further, there are
> three HD Homeruns on the network, the prime, connected to my CATV feed
> with CableCard, A Connect, and a Quattro both connected to two
> different antennas. When I first set things up, I had trouble
> discriminating between the three devices. I'm hoping to use the --hdhr
> option in the External tuner to forcibly bind an input connection to a
> programming source.
>
> I'm in the Hartford, CT broadcast area on the border of the NYC
> broadcast area. The CATV company frequently plays games with the
> broadcasters around here, periodically turning off the CATV feed for
> some channel that I can pick up via antenna. I'm trying to insulate
> myself from such disputes and walk, not run away from CATV.

You should be able to assign them to separate "capture cards" and then
associate the separate "capture cards" with different inputs. As I see
it the only restriction is that all tuners on one HDHR use the same
input and listings source. I used to have a setup with separate tuners
and listing sources back when basic channels on cable were not encrypted
and a separate tuner could get the encrypted ones.

I only have one hdhr so I can't test it, but let me know what the
problem is with that.

Peter