[mythtv-users] webfrontend vs. mythweb

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 16:05:50 UTC 2022

On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 11:37 AM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 9:42 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 10:19 AM Stuart Auchterlonie <
>> stuarta at squashedfrog.net> wrote:

>>> mythweb still functions, but is not being developed at all.
>>> patches are welcome to keep it functioning until there is a replacement
>>>
>>> the "webfrontend". this is the original attempt at being able
>>> to manage the backend via the embedded web server (thanks Stuart M)
>>> due to it's use of QtScriptEngine (which is deprecated) and the
>>> hard ties into the UPnP stack (which creates the web server - don't ask)
>>> this is also no longer maintained or developed.
>>>
>>> THE FUTURE!!!!!!
>>>
>>> We are working on an angular based web app which utilizes the services
>>> API to do all the work.
>>>
>>> There is a *LOT* todo, including expanding the API to be able to do
>>> everything we need.
>>>
>>> If you are at all versed in Angular, or just interested in helping out
>>> please do get in touch.
>>>
>>> The current WIP version of this can be found at
>>> http://<your_backend>:<backend_port + 200>
>>> all active development is on master, the version on fixes/32 is a
>>> skeleton.
>>>
>>> Questions?
>>>

>>> Regards
>>> Stuart
>>>

>> Thanks for the explanation. A lot clearer now. I wish I had the software
>> skills to help out but when I programmed, "Angular" described  the cut on
>> the corner of the IBM punch cards. I was really good at Fortran, Cobol,
>> PL/1 and IBM 360 assembly. :-)
>>
>> My current production MythTV is based on v32 on a Kubuntu 22.04 system in
>> a closet with FireTV 4K front ends for Leanfront and mythfrontend.
>> Everything works great.
>>
>> However, I keep tinkering and test systems based on Raspberry PI 4's or
>> Intel NUCs for use in my camper or elsewhere. There is no perfect solution
>> for those yet, but I'm getting close. My biggest problem is that the RPI OS
>> isn't the best solution for MythTV on the RPI4 and I'm not a fan of *buntu
>> based OS's on the NUC due to snapd and other Canonical weirdness.
>>

> I did a project for a friend a while back utilizing Pi 2,3 and 4.  I tried
> a lot of different OSes on them and found ArchLinux Arm to be the best for
> them.  They keep up with the optimized branches targeting the specific CPUs
> in them well ahead of anyone else.  It is a very well maintained distro for
> the Arm boards (not just PIs).  Just my $.02 if you have never tried it.

I agree with you about Archlinux ARM on RPI4.  I get it installed using
EndeavourOS ARM which has a great new installer for ARM on their regular
EOS Artemis ISO.

I've found that I can run mythfrontend on top of any of their Desktop
Environments if I turn off the compositor and use Xorg only.  Very rarely
do I see any jitter.

I have a few scripts that let me build from source and then install the
backend stuff automatically.  So far so good and I'm still testing.

JIm A