[mythtv-users] Unicable problems

Klaas de Waal klaas.de.waal at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 19:28:58 UTC 2022

Hi Piotr, Matthias,

I have now been testing my Unicable setup for some time, with two channels
allocated to my living room system, two to one test system and one to
another test system, all using an Unicable LNB pointed to Astra 28.2E for
the BBC Freesat programmes.
I reconnected all cables/connectors along the signal path and since then
reception has been good, even on the DVBSky 950C card, using the unmodified
voltage levels.
Using the 18V patch or using a power injector does not make a difference
anymore after tightening all the connectors.
Although I do not think that using the 18V patch has negative side effects,
it is against the EN50494 standard that explicitly says that the low DC
voltage should be used when not signalling.
I do appreciate the patch and it might solve problems with bad connections
or very long cables but for now I will not commit it. But I will keep it
lying around just in case.

Thanks,
Klaas.