[mythtv-users] Odd Freeview problem on BBC channels

Stephen Goodey steve at goodey.org
Sat Jan 29 22:42:36 UTC 2022

From: Robin Hill <myth at robinhill.me.uk>
Sent: 1/29/22 9:57 PM
To: Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>
Cc: mythtv-users <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Odd Freeview problem on BBC channels
On Sat Jan 29, 2022 at 09:38:13PM +0000, Mike Perkins wrote:

> Having spent part of the evening catching up with recent viewing, I chose a BBC program recorded
> yesterday, Friday 28th. Unfortunately, the program was spoilt by a black box stating (roughly):
>
> "Some channels have been moved or added on the 26th January. Please retune if necessary. Press
> yellow to remove this message."
>
> Now of course I can't press yellow to remove this message! I don't have this key programmed into my
> remote and myth wouldn't know what to do if I did.
>
> Points to note here:
>
> This only seems to have affected BBC recordings. Shows on other channels are fine.
>
> My recording route is via two HDHR duos, so it isn't a function of any set-top-box.
>
> I haven't seen this message on my TV - which connects via a Youview STB - at all.
>
> I'm assuming that this notice might be on some kind of subtitle channel. Is it possible to get rid
> of it, either via a menu option or by post-processing? If not, then I'll have to consider all BBC
> recordings to be toast until it goes away, since the box covers the bottom one-third of the screen.

I've seen the same thing on a number of channels. The yellow button
works perfectly well for me to remove the overlay from recording
playback. It doesn't show when I play back via other tools, so I'm not
sure where it's actually embedded - the only streams showing are
audio/video/subtitle and it's not dependent on subtitles being enabled
so presumably isn't in that stream.

Cheers,
Robin

You might find this setting sorts your problem.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MHEG

Steve