[mythtv-users] MythTV 29.1 nVidia video jump hesitation with 5.15 kernel

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 15:34:06 UTC 2022

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 9:33 AM Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 09:11:35 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >Thanks everyone for the replies!
> >
> >Yea, I suspect that this is primarily related to that legacy nVidia
> >driver as well as the fact that this is 32-bit, and I suspect this
> >won't get resolved. I'm fairly sure that Gentoo will retain 32 bit
> >support for a very long time, though it won't get tested as much as
> >others of course. These video hesitations aren't really all that bad
> >and again, it's only when jumping forward/back. If I want to avoid
> >them I'll just have to stick to the 5.10 kernel. Unfortunately
> >replacing the video card in that machine isn't an option because the
> >PCI Express slots there are 1.0 and I was lucky to even find GT 430
> >cards that would even work.
> >
> >The primary reason I've held onto that old frontend as long as I have
> >is that I have lots of duplicate hardware I got on the cheap, so if I
> >have any issues, I can swap out a hard drive and be watching TV again
> >in like 1/2 hour. Aside from this issue, it actually works flawlessly
> >for us too. That's pretty convenient and not easy nor cheap to
> >replace.
> >
> >Thanks again!
> >Tom
>
> As long as you are only using the GT 430 for TV and videos, the
> bandwidth requirements are very low, so a PCIe 1.0 bus will work.  The
> modern cards like the GT 1030 are intended for faster PCIe versions,
> and use only a PCIe x4 interface instead of PCIe x16 and make up for
> the reduced parallel bandwidth with greater speed on the fewer lanes.
> The reduction in lanes combined with PCIe 1.0 might actually reduce
> the available bandwidth below the point where it would work TV and
> videos - some calculations would be in order before you thought about
> using a GT 1030.  I have one working fine with PCIe 2.0, but that is
> twice as fast as PCIe 1.0.

Actually I think the bigger issue is around the power requirements for
some PCIe 2.0 cards. That's where I ran into big issues. In fact, I
got one GT 430 identical to the one I'm using except for having 2 GB
of RAM instead og 1 GB. It wouldn't even boot with that one.

Tom