[mythtv-users] MythTV 29.1 nVidia video jump hesitation with 5.15 kernel

Steve Evans mythtv-users at gorbag.com
Tue Jan 25 10:37:05 UTC 2022

On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 22:23:43 +1300
Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jan 2022 14:16:00 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >This is a tough one, and I tend to doubt anyone will have any ideas,
> >but I figured I'd throw it out there:
> >
> >For reasons I won't get into, I'm still running MythTV 29.1. This is
> >under Gentoo and the frontend is an x86 (32 bit) machine with a GT
> >430 nVidia card, using nvidia-drivers-390.147, and using vdpau.
> >Currently I have both the 5.10.93 and 5.15.16 Linux kernels
> >installed. When I use the 5.15 kernel...and ONLY with that
> >kernel...I'm getting odd video/audio hesitations when jumping
> >forward or back, and only in MythTV. That is, I can't reproduce this
> >in xine or mpv. This occurs both with TV records as well as h264
> >videos in browse mode reading from the local disk.
> >
> >Specifically, when I jump forward or back, there's a momentary
> >hesitation before the audio kicks in, and during that short time, the
> >video gets a little wonky, like it's slowing down for a second. In
> >the 5.10 kernel everything's fine. Sort of really sucks. For now I'm
> >just sticking with the 5.10 kernel. If anyone has any ideas I'd
> >appreciate it. Thanks!
> >
> >Tom
>
> The Nvidia 390 drivers are "legacy" and support for them is limited.
> Support ends at the end of 2022.  I suspect that they have not been
> properly updated for the 5.15 kernels.  If you file a bug report with
> Nvidia, it is possible that they may do something about it, but even
> if they do, support for your GT 430 card ends at the end of 2022 with
> the end of support for the 390 drivers.  The current 470 drivers do
> not support cards older than the 600 series.  So if you want to keep
> on updating the kernels on your frontend box, you will need to replace
> the GT 430 with something more modern that will be supported, such as
> a GT 1030.
>
> And support for 32-bit mode is also going away fairly rapidly at the
> moment in a lot of distros.  I have no idea what is planned for Gentoo
> though.

I also have a GT 430 card, Nvidia 390 driver and kernel 5.15.16 on
Gentoo. But with 64 bit and MythTV 31. I am /not/ seeing this problem,
so maybe it is the 32bit or Myth version that is causing the issue.

Steve
Steve Evans            E-mail: mailto:stevee at gorbag.com
Registered Linux user #217906: http://counter.li.org
Public Encryption Key:         http://www.gorbag.com/public-key.html

5.15.16-gentoo Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz GNU/Linux

 10:32:47 up 2 days, 21:11,  4 users,  load average: 0.25, 0.26, 0.19