[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun tuners and network switches

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 10:23:32 UTC 2022

On 1/21/22 5:11 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 10:59:55 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> Thanks for all the suggestions.  I used the hdhomerun_config to capture
>> some video with no errors of any kind now that I kept the tuners from
>> routing through the AP/router.  I think I'm going to move everything out of
>> the AP/router except the one cable to the first switch.
>>
>> JIm A
> I do not know about the AX50, so I do not know how its Ethernet LAN
> ports work.  There are basically two different ways that routers
> handle LAN ports.  One way has the LAN ports connected to the router
> hardware individually and all traffic between the LAN ports goes via
> the routing hardware or the router CPU (or both).  This setup is very
> useful if you want separate LANs with separate routing for each LAN,
> but very bad if you want two or more of the LAN ports to be on the
> same subnet (ie bridged together).
>
> Routers are very bad at bridging - that is a function best left to
> switches.  So packets supposedly on the same subnet that have to
> traverse the router to get to a different LAN port will often have low
> throughput, as the CPU needs to examine and route each packet, and
> router CPUs are not normally very fast.  Routers do high speed routing
> on their dedicated router hardware, and packets that need to be
> examined by the CPU will have low throughput.  Low throughput = low
> bandwidth.  Low bandwidth compared to the 1 gigabit/s of the LAN port
> means that if there is too much traffic, packets will be dropped to
> reduce the traffic down to the amount that can actually be routed
> between the LAN ports.  This is a likely scenario for your setup - UDP
> packets traversing the router between LAN ports are too much for the
> router CPU to handle and are not being routed by the dedicated
> hardware as router hardware usually does not do bridging.  So some UDP
> packets get dropped.  CPU routed packets on my old ERLite router had
> only about 150-200 Mbit/s bandwidth available once I had all my
> firewall rules installed.  Packets routed on its dedicated routing
> hardware had 1 gigabit/s bandwidth.
>
> The plus side of this LAN port configuration is that if you really are
> routing between the LAN ports rather than bridging (ie each LAN port
> has a different subnet on it), then you can get full gigabit routing
> between all the ports (including the CPU/router hardware port and
> access via that to the WAN port).  That assumes that you only use the
> routing features that are handled on the dedicated routing hardware.
> QoS, for example, will usually require the packets to be routed via
> the CPU.
>
> The other way of organising router LAN ports has all the LAN ports on
> a separate internal hardware switch, and also on that switch is an
> internal Ethernet port to the router hardware and/or the router CPU.
> Sometimes there is a separate port for the CPU and the dedicated
> router hardware.  This separate switch works exactly the same as a
> [...]

I appreciate the detailed explanation.  At present all my ports on my
home network are connected via switches and only one port on the router
has the top switch in the tree connected to it. So the problem should be
solved and certainly seems to.

I am curious about the mention of dropped UDP packets being the
problem.  I thought MythTV v30 and beyond used the TCP method of dealing
with HDHR tuners so you could get the virtual channels, etc. Maybe I
don't understand that part of it.

Jim A