[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun tuners and network switches

glen glenb at glenb.net
Thu Jan 20 14:38:25 UTC 2022

On Thu, 2022-01-20 at 08:51 -0500, James Abernathy wrote:
> I'm trying to fix some issues with mythtv having breakups in the
> signal that could be a number of things like antenna placement,
> original signal quality, or networking issues.
>
> My production mythtv backend is using a WinTV quadHD PCI3 tuner card
> and I generally don't have issues with those recordings.  It's always
> the HDHomerun tuners that are connected to a test backend.
>
> I watch either backend using FireTV 4K sticks or Nvidia Shield TV
> with the mythfrontend and Leanfront apps. So lots of
> networking potential problem areas.  All of the streaming devices and
> backends are wired with either CAT5e or CAT 6 cables.
>
> I have at the top of the tree a TP Link AX50 WiFi 6 AP/router.  Each
> of the ports are connected to 8-port GbE switches in other cabinets
> or rooms.
>
> The problem got bad enough this morning that I decided to dig deeper
> into the situation.  While watching the recorded morning news, the
> picture kept pixelating with lost sound a lot more than is
> tolerable.  I checked the HDHR tuner with their signal app and the
> quality and stability of the signal looked great.
>
> The Shield TV and mythtv test backend that was recording the program
> are on the same switch 1 in a cabinet and the HDHR tuner was
> connected to another switch in another cabinet.  So I moved the
> cables around so that one of the GbE switches had the HDHR, mythtv
> backend, and the cable running to the cabinet with a switch for the
> streaming devices. This seems to fix the issue.  However if the cable
> going to the streaming devices is plugged into the switch above then
> I have issues. An attempt at a schematic below to make it clearer.
>
> AP-router-----> switch 1 in closet (test mythtv-backend, HDHR tuner)
>                |-----> switch 2 in closet
>                |-----> switch 3 in cabinet with streaming devices
> (FireTV, Shield)
>
> The above has the most break ups when watching
>
> However, moving the cable leading to switch 3 from the AP/router to
> switch 1 seems to work best.
>
> Does this make sense or point to a problem?
>
> Jim A

you can contact silicondust and set up debugging at the hdhr, they will
tell if your problem is your home network or the signal/hdhr. Sounds
like the box and signal is OK by what your describe.

Recently I had a similar problem where my recordings had
breakups/pixelation and my hdhrconfig gui the signal looked fine. I use
a wireless bridge to push from the hdhr to my server, with one switch
in its path. I separate out my wifi from my router and use a separate
dumb ap for wifi. So it is hdhr ethernet to wifi bridge unit (tp-link
c7 - openwrt) wireless to belkin3200ax then wired to Netgear gaming
switch then wired to backend recorder. I use a programmable netgear
gaming switch. Swapping out the ap for the new 3200ax solved my problem
and it is perfect again. The shields I use mostly for viewing both are
switches that feed from the netgear switch. From what you describe your
issue is one of the switches I would guess