[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun tuners and network switches

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 13:51:31 UTC 2022

I'm trying to fix some issues with mythtv having breakups in the signal
that could be a number of things like antenna placement, original signal
quality, or networking issues.

My production mythtv backend is using a WinTV quadHD PCI3 tuner card and I
generally don't have issues with those recordings.  It's always the
HDHomerun tuners that are connected to a test backend.

I watch either backend using FireTV 4K sticks or Nvidia Shield TV with the
mythfrontend and Leanfront apps. So lots of networking potential problem
areas.  All of the streaming devices and backends are wired with either
CAT5e or CAT 6 cables.

I have at the top of the tree a TP Link AX50 WiFi 6 AP/router.  Each of the
ports are connected to 8-port GbE switches in other cabinets or rooms.

The problem got bad enough this morning that I decided to dig deeper into
the situation.  While watching the recorded morning news, the picture kept
pixelating with lost sound a lot more than is tolerable.  I checked the
HDHR tuner with their signal app and the quality and stability of the
signal looked great.

The Shield TV and mythtv test backend that was recording the program are on
the same switch 1 in a cabinet and the HDHR tuner was connected to another
switch in another cabinet.  So I moved the cables around so that one of the
GbE switches had the HDHR, mythtv backend, and the cable running to the
cabinet with a switch for the streaming devices. This seems to fix the
issue.  However if the cable going to the streaming devices is plugged into
the switch above then I have issues. An attempt at a schematic below to
make it clearer.

AP-router-----> switch 1 in closet (test mythtv-backend, HDHR tuner)
               |-----> switch 2 in closet
               |-----> switch 3 in cabinet with streaming devices (FireTV,
Shield)

The above has the most break ups when watching

However, moving the cable leading to switch 3 from the AP/router to switch
1 seems to work best.

Does this make sense or point to a problem?

Jim A