[mythtv-users] No-name Android TV boxes

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Jan 19 16:33:59 UTC 2022

On 19/01/2022 16:01, Steve Greene wrote:
> I just bought a "X96" android TV box. The specs are really good, but
> apparently the box mixes Android TV and stock Android apps, so not all of
> those apps are "remote aware". Fortunately, I was able to use a Logitech
> keyboard and touchpad I had laying around. Plugged in the adapter and it
> just worked.
>
> I think it may be rooted, since I didn't need to burrow into the security
> menu to get it to use ADB to add mythfrontend. It mostly handles the MPEG2
> files ok, but the video does drop a few frames. I may need to customize the
> Video Playback settings more. Does anyone else use this box? What settings
> are you using?
>
> Steve
>
> Steve Greene
> (301) 842-8923
> historicity.co
> An independent archival professional specializing in still photography,
> moving images and recorded sound.

It looks as if there are three different boxes answering that description, all at stupid cheap prices:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/x96-android-tv-box/s?k=x96+android+tv+box

It also looks as if these are all cheap chinese knockoffs but that does not rule them out. I notice
that one further down the list even has a keyboard/joystick remote!

--

Mike Perkins