[mythtv-users] Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 14:01:50 UTC 2022

On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 5:54 AM John <jksjdevelop at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13/01/2022 18:30, glen wrote:
>
> I did the upgrade yesterday when it was pushed to one of my shields. So
> far, at least for me, the Mythtv related apps, frontend and leanfront both
> don't play mpeg2 interlaced files well at all, in my opinion much worse
> than before.
>
> There are other problems not related to Myth that might effect others,
> mainly a permissions problem that prevents external storage from getting
> read access and other apps failing for looking for a file in your user
> area. Before you do this upgrade it would be wise to  peruse thier forum.
> This post on 1080i 50 framerate is probably the same issue i am seeing with
> the mpeg2 content in myth. They are talking about google changing something
> on interlacing.
>

> https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/481612/bug-problem-with-1080i-50hz-content-in-new-shield-/3195230/
> <http://email.mg.glenb.net/c/eJwtj01uhDAMhU8Du6D8ErJg0U3vkcQOiQRhBAHUnn48aiVb7_OT_CzDHJMHo_syo57AKxUggLUmjCrJKcbJKQ_CeuFkCDxa8EP0G66d5suKNQwVW5_nUYA0BmzSThm0aRyTRAkWueUONPTrnFt7nZ366uQ31fM8Q70LFMrbNzKwsuskXTDtR0Qi0mv7WGcuuAJrN7Gj1pMYhSQI18Jexx5W3NhTWmaCT7www_Mvi3ttWBsrlVV82H8GLSnhjFScqD_m7afldtNlPE566W8c9mN5A4KqWGw>
>
> There is already a hotfix for the permissions issue but not for this
> interlacing issue. Also once you sign up for hotfixes you are stuck with
> them through the whole version until they move to a new version which might
> be forever.

> I haven't experienced any issues after my Shield updated. Leanfront & the
> frontend are both fine. Thats with UK 1080i content. I am not seeing the
> de-interlacing issue, presumably because  the frontend/leanfront is
> producing 1080p. Or it might that my TV (LG OLED) has taken out the problem
> (its picture processing is very good ). I note the other issues in the
> Hotfix but they don't affect me immediately
>
> I am confused by the warnings about taking the hotfix, where is the
> downside.
>
> If I dont take the hotfix are Nvidia likely to role out the fixes anyway
> in say a month or do you have to wait 6 months or more.

I signed up for the Hotfix before I knew anything and got it last night.  I
also got an email from someone at Nvidia wanting more data about my problem.

Turns out if I turn off HDMI 2.0/HDR on my TV, I no longer get the random
blank screens for a second or 2. Even though every piece of equipment in
the chain is HDMI 2.0 compatible, with version 9, I have issues if it's
activated on the TV.

I tested Leanfront and it's still smooth as expected. I have not had time
to test mythfrontend on v31 with my worst case test videos, but will today.

Turning off HDR is not a big issue for me. The picture is still 4K and it
looks good.  Mythtv content is always 1080i or 720p over here.

Jim A