[mythtv-users] backend stops working for a couple hours every morning at 2?

Josh Rosenberg mythtv at desh.info
Wed Jan 12 14:47:58 UTC 2022

Hey, all. Over the past week, I've noticed my backend stops working every
morning at 2am local time (0700 UTC). The symptoms are that I get emails
from my every-10-minutes cron job that runs /usr/sbin/mythtv-update-motd .
The emails repeat for roughly 2-3 hours, give or take, and say "Our child
has stopped talking to us, kill it off. Unknown error during retrieval of
status from the MythTV backend." During that time, recordings also silently
fail.

The problem is that I can't figure out what's causing this at all. I don't
seem to have any cron jobs or systemd timers that run daily at 2am. I can't
find anything unusual in the mythtv-backend systemd journal or in any of
the /var/log/mythtv/*.log files, and in fact, the evidence is that the
backend process/service is still running. Things that appear in the logs
every 15 minutes or so continue to appear during the time period when the
cron emails are going out and recordings aren't working, and systemd
reports that the service has been running since before last night's gap.

Can you help me figure out what's causing this, or at least help me figure
out where to look for information or how to increase logging appropriately?
My usual sysadmin log-reading skills are failing me here...

Thanks!
Josh