[mythtv-users] Filenames of recordings: access from the desktop

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 11:09:05 UTC 2022

On 11/01/2022 21:57, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 11/01/2022 17:16, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 01/09/2022 11:25 AM, John Pilkington wrote:
> <snip>
>>>
>>> Before I try some other kludge, is there an easy way of displaying
>>> and 'copying' the full filename from a windowed Myth display?  Or
>>> some other approach?  I guess that adding it to the 'Watch
>>> Recordings' screen itself isn't going to improve the family
>>> experience...
>>>
>>> FWIW the 'M > Playback > Playback Data' popup shows the full filename.
>>
>> You can use mythlink.pl (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl  ) to
>> create links with useful/recognizable/customized-for-your-scripts
>> names, then use those useful names to get the full path to the actual
>> recording file with:
>>
>> readlink <link_name>
>>
>> Mike
>
> Yes, thanks Mike.  Having recently recommended mythlink  and cp -L here
> I should have made that connection. In GUI mode I would probably read
> the link destination from the file manager screen, or copy from its
> 'Properties' popup, but mythlink + readlink looks as if it could be more
> scriptable.  I'll look at the mythlink wiki again. :-)

There seems to be no need to do any new scripting.  In a Plasma (KDE)
desktop, this works:

Run mythlink.pl to put links into a folder.

Open that folder with a file manager; I still use konqueror.
Right-click on the recording to be processed and select 'Properties'.
Right click on the contents of the 'Points To:' box, Select All, and Copy.

In a konsole (terminal) tab, recall (Ctrl/R or UpArrow) a command line
similar to the one you want.  Erase the old file details and Paste in
the ones from the link.

Run the new command.