[mythtv-users] Build of Android Mythfrontend

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 14:01:02 UTC 2022

On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 9:16 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 9:11 PM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 1:19 AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> > I don't have a 4k max, but it should have better performance than the
>> 4k, not worse.
>>
>> I do not have any Fire devices (for reasons), but on other
>> forums it has been stated that the 4K Max (but not the 4K)
>> has some issues (with MPEG2 decode) that require one
>> to use software playback for (at least) some types of content.
>>

> That meshes with what I've found.  I set the Max to OpenGL 4CPUs Low
> Quality Deinterlace and the picture is great if you don't skip. In fact on
> the regular FireTV 4K I do the same and it's a little poorer picture, but
> usable.  However, You can skip all you want.
>
> Jim A

I did some testing on the FireTV 4K Max this morning and This included
Android Medicodec. MediaCodec is definitely worse on MPEG2 content. The Max
will not play a video with sound unless the Audio Read Ahead is at least
800.  If you try to skip forward it will fail on the first skip.  With Read
Ahead set to 1000, you might get 2 skips, with Read Ahead at 2000, you
might get 2 or 3 before the FPS goes to 40 or 50 instead of 30.

I did a factory reset on the MAX and only install mythfrontend and the
results were the same.  All of this was on the V32 version.

If there is something wrong with my MAX it doesn not affect playing Prime
Video at 4K or Leanfront on v32 content.

Peter, I can capture any log you want or you can email me directly and we
can see how I can loan you my Max for testing?

I'm going to switch back to my FireTV 4K regular and continue testing
there. I also have a Shield TV (2017) to test with.

Jim A