[mythtv-users] Building a new MythTV Backend for 2022

James jam at tigger.ws
Mon Jan 10 11:34:58 UTC 2022

> On 10 Jan 2022, at 6:29 pm, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 1/10/22 4:56 AM, James Linder wrote:
>> Jim you want the smartmontools
>> Then sudo-or-# smartctl -a /dev/disk-device
>> and there is heaps more online offline tests, automatic notifaction etc
>>
>> James
>
> I just compared the output of sudo smartctl -a /dev/nvme0n1 on my newer desktop with the SATA SSD boot drive in my Mythtv backend. Different responses. The nvme shows:
>
> SMART/Health Information (NVMe Log 0x02)
> Critical Warning:                   0x00
> Temperature:                        35 Celsius
> Available Spare:                    100%
> Available Spare Threshold:          10%
> Percentage Used:                    0%
> Data Units Read:                    9,645,524 [4.93 TB]
> Data Units Written:                 8,820,656 [4.51 TB]
> Host Read Commands:                 61,806,870
> Host Write Commands:                92,980,201
> Controller Busy Time:               427
> Power Cycles:                       702
> Power On Hours:                     893
> Unsafe Shutdowns:                   33
>
> However, the older SATA SSD show far less:
>
> Just what you get from smartctl -i  None of the DUR/DUW and percentage used. On the backend I have smarttools running test regularly and I get output from those test, but no life data.

I feel like a forensic chemist:

Since your power cycles are nearly the same as your power on you use that machine when you need it.
You left out the critical ID but assuming a typical large enough disk of 600TBW then life time is
600 / 4.5 times how long you've been using like this. ie say you'd been using like this for 3 months then
33 years (there go you too :-)

Mike waxes lyrical about spinning rust, but neglects the "Seagate ATA more than an interface" words of wisdom. Read what google have to say about disk life then hold the thought
If you have more than 1 disk in a box then 1 will fail.
What Seagate said is more not less relevant today!

Of course USB disks lying on the table (eg WD passport) are both cheap and pretty immune to nudging each other.

James