[mythtv-users] mythtv-setup without UPNP searching for backend?

James jam at tigger.ws
Sun Jan 9 23:06:48 UTC 2022

> On 10 Jan 2022, at 2:34 am, Mike Hodson <mystica at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Sun, Jan 9, 2022, 10:03 James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com>> wrote:
> When I'm working on building a test mythtv BE/FE combo to test something, I have mythtv-setup fail due to it finding another backend like my production one. The only way I've found to recover from this is reformat the HD and start over with O/S install.  I know that you could spend a year or so digging into what files need to be removed, but I can't find them all so in the interest of time, I just start over.
>
> /var/lib/mysql even for Maria DB is the canonical place for database files. If you wipe out that directory, and reinstall the database package from your distribution, it should perform the setup steps again (creating the database root user password etc) and you would save about 95% of the reinstallation steps.
>

> What I'd like is a way to tell mythtv-setup to not go looking for anything, just stay on localhost and make all assumptions as localhost.  Does that exist??
>
> I would just unplug the network cable..

For me I use ssh lots so no-can-do but what does work is a firewall. I often use opensuse (for my playing) and it defaults to a firewall, 1 click during install to add ssh and open firewall

Having been bitten I backup master DB first BUT I also have just emptied the offending items from database

Just had another nip:
ISP failed for days. Using PhoneHotspot. (OT I've been trying to setup another machine as a gateway but so far I'm beaten) During the switching LAN / hotspot the frontend NAME changed (need dhcp for hotspot, but manual for mythtv)
dhcpname is setup all wrong, rebooted, realname setup is now all wrong !!

In case it piques interest my ot bit is
Was
ISPMODEM----------------mythbackend------------mythfrontend  with BE and FE using ISP as gateway

What I'm trying to do