[mythtv-users] Building a new MythTV Backend for 2022

James jam at tigger.ws
Sun Jan 9 06:31:18 UTC 2022

> On 9 Jan 2022, at 1:49 pm, Mark Wedel <mwedel at sonic.net> wrote:
>
> On 1/8/22 8:39 AM, James Abernathy wrote:
>> With v32 coming soon, I'm looking at an upgrade of not only the software, but maybe it's time for the 11 year old hardware to be retired.  So I'm looking for thoughts on that.
>> My current system has an SSD boot drive and 4 SATA II hard drives configured as 2 mirrors. Since they were SATA II at the time, I thought that for performance reasons, I needed 2 directories in my Recording Storage Group so the recordings would be split between mirrors.  Not sure how needed that was, but it's been working well for 10 years or so.  A secondary use of the backend is as a SMB/CIFS NAS for the rest of the house to use.
>> Since NAS drives are reasonably priced now, I thought about a pair of Seagate Ironwolf 4TB SATA III drives used in a mirrored configuration.
>> So one question is can I forget the use of a second directory in my Default Storage Group (recordings)?  My tuner is a WinTV quadHDTV PCIe card from Hauppauge and the worst load I have is 4 recordings at a time where there may be some overlap caused by back to back recordings on the same channel where the recording rules have extended time at the end.
>> In the current backend I use ext4 on the boot SSD and the mirrors are set up as RAID 1 mirrors using mdadm. That works and I've been able to replace failed drives several times without a problem.  However, I've been researching ZFS and BTRFS and building test systems to play with both.  Since Ubuntu even allows 20.04 to be installed with ZFS, it looks promising. I really have no idea whether I should go down that path.
>> I figure that I could probably find a miniITX motherboard with a M.2 nvme boot socket and then since the WinTV card is low-profile, I could get a smaller chassis that only holds 2 drives.
>> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> I'll add some thoughts here.  For background, I'm running with a mirrored set of nvme for boot + other storage (home directory, other bits), and a mirrored set 2 TB HD for recordings and other storage needs that need space but not performance.  I'm using ZFS for all of this.
>
> Mythtv workloads are pretty kind on hard drives - it sends to be sequential reads and writes, which HDD are pretty good with.  Sequential read/write speeds for HDDs tends to be pretty fast (I presume you are talking ironwolf HDD here - there are apparently also ironwolf SSDs).  Based on the specs, there should be more than sufficient performance for recordings & playback.

> [...]

Mark , since you had lots to say I'd really value opinion.
One of my systems is on a ship in middle of ocean. Security is a total non issue - divers live in a (pressurized) chamber for 28 days. You break the system then no movies for the rest of the month and no (satphone) skype contact.
But power is notorious for just sto . . . (pping) sometimes many times a day. I've used ext4 and seldom get an unrecoverable error (clonezilla to the rescue)

2 questions

1) I can find little information on robustness of various fs. Any recommendations and why

2) Given that this is 'just tv' why all the bother with raid in leau of say 'backintime' which I find very easy and useful

Jams