[mythtv-users] Build of Android Mythfrontend

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 16:18:25 UTC 2022

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 10:43 AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> How is the 4k max with leanfront and mythfrontend? I do not have a 4k max
> so I don't know how well it works.
>
> The fire stick 4k does not play mpeg4 part 2 (divx/xvid), but the specs
> look like the 4k max may play it. You would have to use mkvmerge or another
> tool to convert to mp4 or mkv, because leanfront will not play avi files.
>
> Peter

I find the Max very comparable to the Shield TV on mythfrontend except
start up time. Video quality, to me, is the same. I have always used the
Shield TV and FireTV 4K to watch either mpeg2 recordings or my videos which
are mp4.  I created those videos by using mythfrontend to take recordings,
edit out the commercials and use a mythtv job (sendTVtoNAS) to convert them
to mp4 and move them to my video directory which is on the NAS. They were
as well on FireTV as any frontend.  Leanfront also works.

I got sentTVtoNAS on the mythtv forum and slightly modified it. That script
uses handbrake to compress and convert. It first strips the parts that are
marked as commercials and then converts.
https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1261&p=7857&hilit=sendtvtonas#p6179

Jim A