[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase not running automatically

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 16:08:57 UTC 2022

Hi Mary!
> Thank you for this, Gary. I think this must be what is happening -- this
> morning I still have the error message, but the date range for the listings
> has bumped forward by a day. So it must have run at least once correctly.
> Thank you, everyone, for your help! I'm glad to have it working, and I
> think crontab was probably the solution for me. I'm not totally sure, but
> no matter, it's working!

Working is good, even though we don't know how! <g>  Make sure in the
cron job you set a specific time: minute and hour field does /not/ have
an asterisk.  You want n n * * * (spaces between each segment).    You
can check with crontab -l (lower-case 'l' as in 'list', vs. the original
instruction of -e for 'edit'.

Also make sure only one instance: perhaps you had copied and pasted my
suggestion (10 17 * * *   /usr/bin/mythfilldatabase) as a template and
then didn't comment it out.  Punctuation marks could also cause multiple
runnings.  (I haven't experimented with Hika's suggestion  yet.)

Barry