[mythtv-users] The Olympics has destroyed my video

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 04:16:52 UTC 2022

On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 2:17 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 12:58:55PM -0800, Allen Edwards wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 9:41 AM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> > > It's almost certainly the Nvidia bug.  What is the callsign of your
> > > NBC station?  Set the number of CPUs to 2, then, instead of 4.  What
> > > CPU do you have?  You said AMD 5400.  Is that a Ryzen 3 5400U?
> > > Software decoding (which is what the OpenGL profiles use) should still
> > > work fine for mpeg2 on any modern CPU.  Whatever, you'll eventuall
> > > want to create a custom profile which uses OpenGL for mpeg2 and VDPAU
> > > for everything else.
> >
> > @Dave:
> > cpuinfo shows this:
> > AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+ Might not be considered a
> > modern CPU.
>
> Much older than I expected but still probably fine.  Really, almost
> any dual-core CPU less than 10 or so years old should be fine.  For 1x
> playback.  Just don't expect to timestretch at high rates if that is a
> feature you use.
>
> > The Station is KNTV local channel 11 and actual channel 13.
>
> OKay, I was just wondering if you were in DFW where KXAS is the last
> remaining station in the area that still tickles this particular bug.
>
> > In terms of setting up a custom profile is that like vdpau for 720 and
> > opengl for 1080? That is done on the profile screen by adding a second
> > criteria. If it is something else, let me know. For now I am going to
> test
> > openGL and if it works for 1080 it should work for 720 I would think
> > although perhaps more CPU power.
>
> Yes.  Your best bet is to make the first criteria be as specific as
> you can like mpeg2, 1920x1080(*).  This one should use OpenGL High
> Quality.  Then, make another criteria with no restrictions.  This one
> should use VDPAU Normal.
>
> David
>
> (*)Ideally, you would also want to only match on youre NBC station as
> you might want to use the better deinterlacing and faster timestretch
> capability provided by VDPAU on other 1080i channels.  Unfortunately,
> MythTV doesn't support doing that.  I have a TODO for that but haven't
> done it yet.

Is this correct? " if rez >= mpeg2, 1920x1080 -> ffmpeg & vdpau" as the
first priority? Then have the other one "if rez >0,0 -> vdpau & vdpau".
Then copy the details from the two profiles you mentioned by editing the
details.

On a related note. OpenGL High looks like it is working fine. Why use VDPAU
at all? I guess for things like time stretch and other esoteric functions.
I don't use them often but have at times. Like every decade maybe.

By the way, thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate what you and
Jay have done to help me. I was getting nowhere but I think I have a good
solution now.

Allen