[mythtv-users] Andoid mythfrontend schema changed again

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 19:46:23 UTC 2022

On Sun, Feb 6, 2022 at 1:20 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 06, 2022 at 10:04:27AM -0500, James Abernathy wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 5, 2022 at 9:06 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> > > If you use the mediacodec-dec decoder, please give the improved,
> > > mediacodec decoder a try.  It's working very well for me but I'd like
> > > some feedback from others.
> >
> > This morning I got around to testing the v32 32bit version of
> mythfrontend
> > on a FireTV 4K and a FireTV 4K MAX.  Mediacode-dec is unusable on those
> > devices with freezes and crashes. I can make opengl usable with 4 CPUs
> and
>
> Is this unusability with mediacode-dec new or the same as before?  I
> didn't touch mediacode-dec proper but my changes to the decode loop
> can in theory affect all decoders.  I haven't noticed any regressons
> with mediacode-dec nor opengl on an nvidia shield.
>
> David
> --
> David Engel
> david at istwok.net

That's a tough question.  The only MythTV related app on the FireTV I spend
any time with is Leanfront because it's very close to perfect, even better
than Kodi 19.3. On the Nvidia Shield I find mythfrontend before and now
pretty good. What has changed with moves to master and v32 have been the
sensitivity of working or failing in a narrow range of Audio Read Ahead.
You used to be able to set it to 400 on PCs, Shield TV, or FireTV.  Now on
Firetv 400 drops audio every few seconds and if you try skipping it stops
audio completely.  At about 1000, audio works but too many skips to get
past a commercial and the audio stops as well.   This is further
complicated by the FireTV MAX which will not play anywhere near as good as
the original Fire TV 4K even on v31. V32 is much better on the FireTV MAX.

I go from watching TV to testing TV.  In watching TV I use The Nvidia
Shield with Leanfront for recorded TV and mythfrontend on a recording that
is only a little behind real time, and that's on v31.  I also do my
Streaming on the Shield TV.

When testing I use the frontend on the Core i7 Sandy Bridge mythbackend
with Intel graphics, and also a frontend on an 11th Gen Core i7 NUC with
Intel gfx. They work so well that it's boring. The V32 BE/FE combo I have
on a Raspberry PI 4 4GB have made great strides on the new Bullseye 64bit
OS and new GFX drivers. It's every bit as good as the FireTV 4K. In fact
that's the backend I use for all my V32 testing.

Let me know if there is any testing you would like me to do specifically on
USA OTA MPEG2 ATSC 1.0 stuff.

Jim A