[mythtv-users] macosx build failure

John Hoyt john.hoyt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 23:26:34 UTC 2022

On Tue, Dec 20, 2022 at 5:48 PM James <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

> John this feedback is for your info, I'm not asking for a fix.
>
> I need mythfrontend on macosx running high sierra so (after lots of hoop
> jumping)
>
> Installed a High Sierra VM (on parallels)
> Installed macports (xcode etc) synced to git hub
> run zsh
> run compileMythFrontend --version=fixes/32
>
> *** needs gsed to be installed

Sorry about that - I thought I put the "port install gsed" command into the
script, I'll take a look with fresh eyes later this week.

> script runs only error is 'not able to build mysql8'
> install mysql8 by hand. (No errors)

you may want to try installing with mariadb instead with the
"--database-version=mariadb-10.5" flag (the port shows healthy
https://ports.macports.org/port/mariadb-10.5/details/)

Feel free to try a newer version of mariadb - they're up to 10.10.
Warning, shifting to a newer version may cause issues with other ports if
they haven't been updated (I know 10.5 used to work before HS was
deprecated).

I shifted to mysql8 as default since it's what I run and is the "suggested"
mythtv database. It appears macports does not have support for HS nor
Mojave mysql8 currently (possibly ever).

> *** ansible finishes but does not install qt5
>
> install qt5-qtbase
>
> more errors ...

I'd be curious what errors you're getting.  I would have thought High
SIerra would have just installed via packages vs compiling from source.
There's also a good chance that the mysql8 database failure is the main
cause.  qt5-qtbase looks supported (
https://ports.macports.org/port/qt5-qtbase/details/) - so hopefully just
the changeover to mariadb gets you up and running.

Can you do a "port instelled|grep qt5". - I'm curious what packages are
actually installed, if any.

> I'm going to rinse n repeat logging everything with tee if you do want
> anything else I'll just consider High Sierra obsolete (for me every thing
> works except meta-data lookup, which I do with the backend)(but one day
> I'll want 33 etc)

I suspect if you can get v32 compiling, v33 should just work.